On 16 July 2014, MVC lodged an application at the Constitutional Court (the Court) for an order declaring that Parliament has failed to fulfil its constitutional obligation to enact national legislation to regulate private funding of political parties. This application is a key part of MVC’s campaign for greater transparency in politics in South Africa. Baleka Mbete, speaker of Parliament, responded with an answering affidavit on 9 October 2014. Following MVC’s provision of further argumentation to the Court, a hearing date has been set for 10 February 2015. MVC will continue posting updates in this regard; please contact us for further information.
MVC_SATweets by @MVC_SA
- Political Party Funding Act to be in effect from 1 April 22 Jan 2021
- [OP-ED] Understanding intra-party democracy 18 Jan 2021
- Two Acts linked to political party funding have not been promulgated 15 Dec 2020
- Party funding in focus: Difference between the PAIA Amendment Act and PPFA 15 Dec 2020
- The pandemic will change the electoral process 15 Dec 2020