My Vote Counts is a non-profit organisation that works towards improving transparency, accountability and inclusiveness in South Africa’s political and electoral systems. The organisation was formally registered in 2014 and has made an impact in ensuring that South Africans are a step closer to understanding who pays for our politics and focusing on ways in which we can hold our elected representatives to account.
MY VOTE COUNTS seeks to appoint a Director to be based in Observatory, Cape Town.
Employment Duration: 1 year fixed contract with option to renew
Start date: 01 November or negotiable
Reports to: MVC board
We are looking for an ambitious and self-motivated individual with a commitment to social justice, to lead a driven and dynamic team towards achieving My Vote Counts’ (MVC) mission.
- Develop and implement MVC’s strategic vision and strategy in partnership with the MVC team
- Lead and manage the implementation of MVC’s activities
- Ensure accurate financial management of MVC’s financial resources (supported by an operations manager and accountants)
- Manage MVC’s donor relationships, including writing proposals and donor reporting
- Present regular progress and updates to MVC’s board, organise quarterly board meetings
- Build and maintain MVC’s relationships with our stakeholders in all relevant sectors
- Represent MVC in various fora, including engaging with parliament, political parties, government, civil society organisations, the media and our funding partners
- Support and manage the MVC team within an organisational culture that is just, fair and considerate
- Responsible for managing the performance of a small team, including recruitment where needed
- A Bachelor’s degree in law, political science, public policy, international relations or any other relevant social science qualification, with at least 3 years work experience – preferably in the non-profit sector
- Prior management experience – leadership position in a non-profit organisation
- Show demonstrable leadership ability and a commitment towards social justice
- Experience in financial management and budgetary oversight of an organisation
- Experience in leading inter-disciplinary programmes and human resource management
- Excellent research and writing skills
- Proven experience in donor/funder report writing skills
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, analytical, and organizational skills
- Historically disadvantaged applicants are encouraged to apply
How to apply:
Email your full curriculum vitae, a motivation letter, 2 reference letters and a sample of written work to email@example.com. The deadline for applications is 2 November 2020 at 13h00.
Please include “MVC Director Application” in the subject heading.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be notified of the outcome of the process.