Job title: Researcher
Opportunity closing date: Sunday, 12 November 2017
My Vote Counts (MVC) is a non-profit that aims to improve the accountability, transparency and inclusiveness in South Africa’s political and electoral systems. We achieve our aims through research, advocacy, campaigning, popular education and strategic litigation.
MVC seeks to appoint 2 Researchers on a 12-month fixed term contract (renewable depending on funding) for its Cape Town office. Successful candidates will be required to start in January 2018, with a salary offer of R16 000 per month (dependent on qualifications and experience).
- Conduct desktop research on best practices relevant to our area of work;
- Provide policy alternatives for legislation relevant to our area of work;
- Produce policy briefs, reports, letters, media releases, op-eds, and submissions as required;
- Work closely with other civil society organisations to ensure that MVC’s work complements and enhances the achievement of common organisational goals;
- Deliver workshops/seminars/discussions on MVC related topics when required;
- Work flexible hours to accommodate developing and urgent events;
- Assist with developing content for MVC’s electronic media channels.
- Provide assistance at MVC activities including, meetings, workshops, seminars etc.
- Must be a South African citizen or permanent resident with university qualifications in politics, public policy, law or sociology;
- Must display an interest in South African politics;
- Must be able to produce written material that is coherent and analytical;
- Research experience with an ability to put across complex issues in simple, understandable formats;
- Sound knowledge and understanding of key issues in the area of politics, public policy, electoral processes and systems, democratic institutions and processes.
- An understanding of the South African civil society social justice environment will be beneficial, but not required;
- Strong interpersonal, facilitation, presentation and time management skills;
- Must be able to engage with a wide range of stakeholders and to represent MVC at stakeholder events;
- An ability to work independently and within a team.
Suitable candidates must submit a CV (maximum three pages), cover letter (maximum two pages), current contact details of at least three referees to email@example.com.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to complete a written assignment.
Please make the subject line of your email: “Researcher MVC 2016”.
Interviews to take place on 21 and 22 November 2017.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.